Level 2 - Workshop 3 - Unit 10.Link to the lesson: http://doris3meflcenter.blogspot.com/2010/10/level-2-unit-10-home-sweet-home.html
Home Sweet Home!
* In groups discuss the following question
A: Do you live in a house or in an apartment?
B: I live in a house/I live in an apartment
* Work on the exercise on page 104 in your book.
Parts of the house http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P4WUrOYUyk
*Draw a floor map or tour house. bedrooms, bathroom, livingroom, kitchen,laundry room, garden, garage. Use the map on pag 104 as a model.
*Consider the following questions and describe where you live.
Where do you live? House or apartment
Where is it?
What's your house like?
How many rooms are there?
What the neigborhood where you live is like? is it noisy or quiet? is it dangerous or safe? is it clean or dirty?
Use these words to describe your house:
Near public transportation
Looks at the following models:
I live in an apartment. I live on the second floor. Apartment 2A. In la trinidad. In my apartment, there are seven rooms- a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. My neighborhood is dirty,and dangerous but quiet.
I live in a house. In San Jacinto. My house is big and white. I live in a quiet neighborhood. In my house, there are seven rooms- a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. There's also a yard.
* Make a list of 5 items (furniture and appliences) you can find in
Work on page 107 in your book.
* select a picture of your favorite room in your house. Describe what and where things are in it. (use in, on, in front of, next to, behind, between, in the middle of) Look at the model on page 108 in your book.
Workshop 3 Level 3 Unit 4. In the neighborhoodLink to the lesson: http://doris3meflcenter.blogspot.com/2010/10/level-3-unit-4.html
* Look at the following model:
What things can you do at this places? Bank, laundromat, post office, movie theater
You can save money in a bank.
You can do your laundry at the laundromat.
You can buy stamps at the post office.
You can see a movie and eat pop corn at the movies.
Write five conversation. Use these places. Add two things you can do in the place. (select only 5
Do you know where I can __________?
get a cup of coffee
get some hiking boots
get some cat food
buy some milk
buy some pants
grab a hamburger
get some aspirin
see a movie
buy a book
mail a letter
buy some CDs
get a bite to eat
A: Do you know where I can get a cup of coffee?
B: You can get a cup of coffee, have a sandwich and talk to your friends in a coffeeshop.
Now, make a list of 5 places near your university.
Foillow the example:
1. La jaula is a computer store where you can buy CDs
* Draw a map. Include aveues, streest and places.
* Locate two places. Make two conversations...Ask and give directions to those places. Mark the path in the map. Follow the model.
A: Is there a university near here?
B. Yes, there's one.
A: Where is the university?
B: It's on the corner of C2 and Goajira Ave.
A: How do I get to the university from Palaima?
B: Walk down Goajira Ave to C2. Turn right on C2. Urbe is on the left. It's across from La Trinidad. Between El Naranjal and Plaza de Toros.
A. Thanks so much.
B: You're welcome.
Describe your city. Talk about cost of living (is it cheap or expensive), population (crowded, a lot of people, not many people), weather (hot, cold, mild, rainy) , transportation (public transportation) , crime (safe or dangerous) , traffic (a lot of traffic) , contamination (garbage, is it clean or dirty) , nightlife (places to go).
Level 4 - Workshop 3 - Unit 10
Link to the lesson: http://doris3meflcenter.blogspot.com/2010/11/level-4-unit-10-body-health-and-stress.html
* In groups. Make a list of the part of body
* Answer the following questions:
A: What part of your body do you like the most?
B: I like my legs the most...
A: What part of the body do you look at first in a boy / girl?
B: I look at faces first in a boy
I look at hair first in a girl
A: What part of the body gives you the most trouble?
B: My head gives me the most trouble. I sometimes get headaches.
* write a conversation about health problems. Use the conversation on pag 106 in your book as a model.
* Answer the following questions in a short paragraph
Are you a healthy person? What are some of your common health problems?
* in groups design a health poster.
- Select an image and a slogan
- Select a health problem
- Explain what's the problem, point out the causes and consequences
- Give some advice.
Post your poster at the group or in twitter use the hashtags #doris3meflcenter #health #urbe
Level 5 - Workshop 3 - Unit 4Today's trends
* Link to the lesson in the blog: http://doris3meflcenter.blogspot.com/2012/06/level-5-unit-4-todays-trends.html
* Look at the following video about different kind of families https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYWCtX3Us4
* Answer the following questions:
1. What are the different kind of families in the video?
2. What's a family according to the video?
* Describe your family. Use the following vocabulary to describe your family:
- Nuclear Family: It is a family group consisting of a father and mother and their children,who share living quarters.
- Blended Family: Family who is divorced and re-grouped.
- Extended Family: Family who has grandparents and children living together.
- Traditional: Normal families
- Non traditional: no classical families.
- Step mother or father: Mother or father who is not your biological father or mother but is married with your biological father or mother.
- Half Brother or sister: Sister / brother who is not your biological sister/brother.
- Single parents
- Married parents
- Divorced parents
- Foster parents
- Step parents
- Adopting parents
- Working parents.
- Stay-at-home parents
* Write 5 sentences telling facts about your family. Use the following statistics and quantity expressions:
- 15%, 70%, 100%
- a majority of, more than half, but not all.
- Twice, three times
- all of, most of, a lot of, some of, a couple of, none of.
Follow the model:
70% of the women in my family are students.
A majority of the couples in my family are married.
All of the members of my family enjoy eating chocolate.
* Read the following statements. Do you agree or disagree with them. Use different Expressions for Agreeing and Disagreeing.
- I agree with you 100 percent.
- I couldn't agree with you more.
- That's so true.
- That's for sure.
- (slang) Tell me about it!
- You're absolutely right.
- That's exactly how I feel.
- I'm afraid I agree with James.
- I have to side with Dad on this one.
- No doubt about it.
(agree with negative statement)
- I suppose so./I guess so.
- You have a point there.
- I was just going to say that.
- I don't think so.
- No way.
- I'm afraid I disagree.
- I totally disagree.
I beg to differ.
- I'd say the exact opposite.
- Not necessarily.
- That's not always true.
- That's not always the case.
- No, I'm not so sure about that.
What do think about these? Explain why?
1. Women shouldn't work. They should stay at home and take care of the children.
2. Goverment should provide care centers for the children of working families.
3. People shouldn't smoke in public areas.
4. Our children lives will be better than ours in many ways.
* What is your opinion about fashion and style? what's your style? what kind of clothes do you wear?
* Take one of the following quizzes: http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyourstyletypequiz/
http://www.quizrocket.com/fashion-style-quiz . Do you agree with it?
* Work on the exercises in your book: 4 Language link. Giving advice with should, ought to, could, might, couldn't, might not, had better, had better not